What is Guiding Good Choices?
A FREE five-part workshop (once per week for 5 weeks) for parents or caregivers of children ages 9-14. The program seeks to promote healthy youth development and to prevent teen alcohol, tobacco and other drug use by helping parents gain skills to:
- build family bonds,
- establish and reinforce clear and consistent guidelines and expectations for behavior,
- teach children skills to resist peer influence,
- improve family management practice, and
- reduce family conflict.
Session One – Getting Started
How to Prevent Drug Abuse in Your Family
Session Two – Setting Guidelines
How to Develop Healthy Beliefs and Clear Standards
Session Three – Avoiding Trouble
How to Say No (Children attend this session with their parents.)
Session Four – Managing Conflict
How to Control and Express Anger
Session Five – Involving Everyone
How to Strengthen Family Bonds
GGC is based on research and has been PROVEN to:
- Improve parenting skills and parent-child interactions.
- Reduce adolescent substance abuse.
- Reduce adolescent depressive symptoms.
- Reduce rates of self-harm by teens.
In high quality research studies, children of participants had:
- 40% lower rates of alcohol and marijuana use,
- 54% less progression to more serious substance abuse,
- 26% greater likelihood of remaining drug free if not already using drugs,
- 38% lower rates of self-harm,
- 28% fewer feelings of worthlessness.
Includes a FREE light dinner for the family and FREE onsite childcare! All materials are provided at no cost to participants.
- The workshop series is only a five night commitment
- Series are offered on several different days of the week.
- Series are offered at different times of the day.
- Series are available throughout the school year.
- Series are offered in all five towns.
We will be offering the next Guiding Good Choices session beginning on Tuesday, March 17 and running through Tuesday, April 14. Sessions will be offered on Tuesday evenings from 5:30-8:00pm at the Lincolnville UC Church in Lincolnville Center. Registrations are due in our offices by March 13. Call (207) 236-9800 for more info.
Here’s what parents in our community are saying about Guiding Good Choices
Just by establishing a routine of family meetings, there will be more communication.